Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Finance

This week in class, family finance was the topic of discussion. We read a talk by Elder Marvin J. Ashton called "One for the Money." He mentions several points in money management, but the one that stuck out to me the most was to learn self-discipline and self-restraint in money matters. This was probably one of the hardest concepts for me when I first came out to school. Back in high school, I had a job and made enough money to pay tithing, save some, and the rest on whatever I wanted. However, when I came up to BYU-I, I did not have a job, therefore I lived off of my savings. It became really hard for me to retrain myself to only buy the things that were necessary. After some budgeting and self-discipline, I was able to use my money wisely. It was a long hard journey, but I felt so good knowing that I learned how to live on a low budget. These skills have helped me when I got married. My husband and I both are able to live on a budget, and are careful to remember when and when not to splurge. I plan on teaching my children from a very early age how to self-discipline themselves and put it into action.

No comments:

Post a Comment